January 18, 2022

The Werribee News is the local newspaper of Werribee, Victoria state. We publish weekly and has a circulation of five thousand's website visits per week.

Man critically injured by firework in Werribee

fireworks in werribee

Fireworks In Werribee

A man has been critically injured after he was struck in the face by a firework in Werribee last night.

The 49-year-old was discharging the firework in Collins St when it hit him.

He was taken to the hospital in critical but stable condition.

It comes after police warned of illegal fireworks after huge loot was confiscated from five houses in southeast Melbourne late last month.

Detective Inspector Michael Roberts of the Arson and Explosives Squad said it was important to seize the fireworks before the holidays.

“The use of fireworks is illegal and can be highly dangerous, and being able to disrupt their distribution today through these arrests and seizures is a great result for the community,” he said.

“Fireworks are volatile items that pose a major health and safety risk to the community. The possession and use of illegal fireworks can result in injury, death and destruction of property.

“We’ve also seen people die from injuries inflicted by illegal fireworks — something that could have been all too easily avoided.

“A bushfire sparked by a firework could have catastrophic consequences as it has the potential the destroy homes, communities and human life.”

Werribee News editors setup a sound recording app to measure this years events.

A total of 2449 explosive charges were detected from the corner of Tarniet and Market road with an approximate coverage range of 5kms between 11:58pm to 12:17am

Flares reserved for emergencies only were also observed approximately over Hoppers Crossing area. It’s not know if emergency services responded to the distress device.

A local resident from Shoalhaven Street in Werribee said it was the highest volume of illegal fireworks he’s heard in the area to date.

Spread the love